Can you imagine a world without The Beatles? Yesterday, is a light-hearted romantic film that simply celebrates The Beatles and the wonderful music they’ve created throughout the years. This isn’t just a film about love and romance, but rather a feel-good film that leaves any Beatles fan appreciating their music. This obviously wouldn’t have been possible without Himesh Patel’s charming voice and performance.
The story is about Jack (Patel) who was just another struggling songwriter until a mysterious blackout which caused him to be the only person in the world who remembers The Beatles. The film has a light-hearted story, where the major plot of this film is Jack’s rise to fame and the guilt he’s feeling by using The Beatles’ songs as his own. Even though what he’s doing is wrong, we can’t help but feel his struggle. Then the romantic side of things, Jack’s love interest Ellie(Lily James) is the only person who’s ever believed in him since the start, and because of his rise to fame, he struggles to try to balance his career and his affection for Ellie.
The film does an excellent job of bringing a light tone to the overall story of the film. All the songs are beautifully performed and Patel’s performance brings back nostalgia and warmth to our hearts. We can’t help but have a new love and appreciate for all these wonderful songs. Whether you’re a fan of The Beatles or not, this film is definitely worth checking out.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY™, DVD AND DIGITAL:
- Alternate Opening*
- Alternate Ending
- Deleted Scenes:
- Corden & Roxanne – Includes deleted performance by Himesh Patel of “Something”
- Late for School
- Nutters Italian Ice Cream
- Moscow Audience
- A Gonk
- W Hotel
- Jack Calls Ellie
- Hilary in the Mirror
- Nick and Carol
- Hazel’s Selfie
- Gag Reel*
- Live at Abbey Road Studios – Watch Himesh Patel perform “Yesterday“, “I Want To Hold Your Hand”, and “Let it Be” at Abbey Road Studios.
- “I Want To Hold Your Hand”
- “Let it Be”
- Ed Sheeran: From Stadium to Screen* – Acting in his first major role, Ed Sheeran reflects on his experiences making the movie.
- Agent of Comedy: Kate McKinnon*– Kate McKinnon shares how eager she was to play the role of “Debra Hammer” while the cast and crew reflect on the fun and energy that the queen of improvisational comedy brought to the set.
- A Talented Duo* -Richard Curtis and Danny Boyle, two of the most successful British filmmakers, team up for the first time.
- Playing for Real*– The re-interpreting of the Beatles songs was a huge undertaking for newcomer Himesh Patel. Learn how he spent months learning to play the songs perfectly as the production decided to take the more challenging route of recording the musical numbers live on set.
- Soul Mates* – Beyond the music and the laughs, the film is, of course, a love story. This piece looks at the relationship between Jack & Ellie and the actors playing them.
- A Conversation with Richard & Ed*– Long-term friends Richard Curtis and Ed Sheeran have a funny and informal chat about the making of YESTERDAY.
- Feature Commentary with Director Danny Boyle and Writer/Producer Richard Curtis
Universal Pictures releases YESTERDAYon 4K Ultra HD in a combo pack (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray™ + Digital) on Septemeber 24, 2019